Sunday, August 23, 2009


It's been awhile since I've posted something but I hope these will make up for my lack of updates. I'm currently working on a Wizard of Oz illustration and these are a couple of designs that I came up with for the Tinman and the Scarecrow.

The one thing I wanted to avoid the most while designing the characters was to go with a cliche, skinny Scarecrow that's dressed in either a farmer's overalls or rags with rope keeping him together. I also wanted to avoid a funnel-hatted or a medieval knight design for the Tinman. So the influence for the Scarecrow came from the uniforms that the American soldiers wore in the Revolution against Britain and the influence for the Tinman came from old trains. I imagined that some wacko engineer came across an old steam engine train and used its parts to build a robot but since he's an engineer and not a surgeon, the robot has no heart so now it has to ask the Wizard for one.

The full illustration will be available as a print at Fanexpo this friday and will, of course, have dorothy and the lion in it as well.

No comments: