Monday, December 20, 2010

Old Journal/Sketchbook Entries

I recently turned 30 and I decided to look through some old sketchbooks and journals of mine to see how far I have come. So many memories come floating back. Some of these entries were pretty entertaining so I thought I'd share a few of them with you.


An entry made around my "clubbing" phase during Illustration year 1:


In college/university, I became well acquainted with the notion of sleep loss:


One time I dressed up as a woman.


Back in grade 9 I used to give girls notes with a secret code. I also used that code to write a secret journal entitled "Do Not Read." Only certain people were allowed to read the secret decoder wheel that I made in ceramics class.



I translated a few of these entries and it turns out my head was in a strange goth phase. A potent combination of listening to too much Marilyn Manson and not getting laid.



An entry I made when my friend Stan got hit by a car. Dark times come swirling back.


A few more "emo-ish" entries.


I kept a newspaper article when I was in my grade 8 poo poo humor phase. I thought it was funny at the time. Now that I read it and think about how sick and screwed up this guys was.


Some notions I sometimes subscribe to, even today.


In Art Fundamentals I made some friends that I still hold dear today. We used to make our own fun when everything got too expensive.


Some strange dream-based character design.


I think I drew this when I was intoxicated. I am not sure.


I was, and still am, hypnotized by Christopher. Some things never change. The wheel is turnable.

2 comments:

Evan said...

This is amazing. Really inspires me to dig up some of my old sketchbooks, as I'm sure they're filled with similar bizarre stuff that was really important to me at the time. (On a side note, I think I'm going to make it a holiday project to crack that code.)

Zen said...

Thanks. Yeah, all of this stuff really means a lot more to me than anyone else. Some of the sketches I looked at had me asking "What the hell was I thinking?"

I am sure you could easily crack that code, but is it worth reading? If you like the nonsensical and confused rants of a 14 year old angry goth...